15 March 2009

A Project Whose Time Has Come

Interweave Knits Fall 2007 issue was one of those rare magazines that inspires you to knit multiple projects. I started with the rather disastrous (for me) Tilted Duster, and followed this summer by making the beautiful Minimalist Cardigan. But I bought the magazine in order to make the Dickinson Pullover. The yarn I originally bought, a batch of Custom Woolen Mills Mule Spinner, seemed too rough against the skin and too warm, which led to my digression into the Tilted Duster (whose sleeves turned out not to match due to a dye lot error on the manufacturer's part, and whose final product reminded me why I don't like anything resembling an empire waistline). The duster found a new home with someone who would love it more than I could, and at Christmastime I bought a batch of GGH Samson merino in a deep teal colour to start Dickinson. It was end of April before I started it. I knit five rows and put it aside, not to be picked up again until October.


















I knit a bit more before Christmas knitting intervened and relegated it to the spare project box. This week, though, I'm leaving Dublin to see some of Ireland proper-- heading out to the west/southwest, to Galway and Dingle. We may even get to the Aran Islands. So I think Dickinson's time has finally come. I'm determined to finish it before the end of April, which will mean it's been in progress for a whole year.

At very least, the teal and cables make a nice change from the endless 3x5 rib of Leo, which I'm currently knitting for Timo, and the red/pink/red theme of most of last year's projects.

Clockwise from bottom left: Minimalist Cardigan, Corset Top, Tempting, Drops Alpaca cardigan, Blaze pullover


No comments: